Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Garden School Tattler




Yesterday was a really good day. We had lots of kids and the dramas and the play went really well. We are experiencing a business that we haven't experienced for a long time. This is a good thing for us, because it allows teachers a wider scope in handling the issues of the many rather than the issues of the few.

I am teaching my class of 3 year olds how to count to 30. I chose thirty because the difference in the numbers from one to ten, then eleven to twenty, then twenty-one to thirty is more pronounced than any other order. I had to laugh when they all tried their luck at the abacus. India got up, gave me one of her "I can conquer the world" looks, and proceeded to say on the first bead, "Thirty." I shook my head. "That's the last one," I said. "Sixteen?" she quizzed.

Isaac just blew everyone away. He just counted right up to thirty as though he was performing. It was cute and it was wonderful and he earned a candy bar.

They all tried, and all did something. We will continue to work on this. Try helping your child count while he is in the car.

We are beginning to make Christmas decorations. Make sure you ooh and aah over these wonderful little art creations. It means so much to them.

Friday we will be decking out the tree. Parents are welcome.

We are putting up another tree in front that will be for charity. Please consider being kind to others this year. A letter will follow.

No comments: