Sunday, June 07, 2009

Sunday's Plate


Often on Sunday I post a Garden School recipe that the kids are really enjoying. This summer we are trying out some new casserole recipes because during the winter the kids loved two things: the breakfast casserole with potatoes, bacon, cheese and eggs, and the lasagna we made a couple of times.

This summer on Mondays, we will be trying several new casserole treasures. The one we had last week was spaghetti casserole with cream cheese and sour cream filling. The kids loved it. This week we will be having pizza casserole.

Next week we will be having a ham, chicken, pork tenderloin, sweet potato, apple thing I think they will like as well.

When I was on vacation, I bought three cookbooks - I buy cookbooks every week because I love new ideas. I bought one on pot luck, and one on snacks. The pot luck cookbook had a lot of these casseroles, and I thought, "mmmmm, they liked the breakfast one, why not...."

Along with the casserole recipes, there was a recipe for butterscotch muffins. It's made with pudding. So today, while at Schnucks, I bought not only butterscotch pudding, I picked up the lemon and the cheesecake puddings. I'm not a pudding by box gal; I'm a scratch pudding person, so this was all news to me!

There was also a pernicious little treat called Rocky Road Bars which we will have for snack tomorrow. New ideas....

The spaghetti casserole was interesting. It had a layer of sour cream and whipped cream cheese. I added a cup of Parmesan cheese. It's a layered dish of spaghetti sauce, noodles, sauce, cheese, noodles, sauce, cheese, sauce. The kids ate it up.

Tomorrow's has spaghetti sauce, noodles, mozzarella and pepperoni. I think it will be a hit.

On picnic, I've begun taking a new sandwich for the teachers. Children can share once they have had a sandwich with protein. Our new sandwich is chopped vegetables: carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, yellow squash, zucchini, and tomatoes lightly salted and spiced. I add ground crab or shrimp. I also take chicken pieces for those who like things fowl :-}

Our children's sandwiches include: ham, turkey, cheese or any combination therin. Tuna, egg, peanut butter with or without either jam or honey. I added hard salami for this week. We take apples, carrots and dip, watermelon, pickles, whole grain chips, milk and water. It's a nice spread. We are leaving the cookies at home because the kids eat better without them. We will take them to Louisville to be eaten after the zoo.

We need a parent who is willing to donate 40 lemon lime sodas for after the Zoo. It makes the trip going home much easier. The salt in the soda actually keeps kids from needing to use the bathroom.

Just a plug for something called Tiger tails - this whole grain noodle is a favorite of the kids.

No comments: