Thursday, May 03, 2012

Been Ill

Normally, I am slightly suspect of people who are chronically ill. Those who simply always don't feel well; those who dwell entirely on the self as a virus abused individual; those who can't stop medicating; those who are ten years their own senior because they have been raked over the sick coals. You know the type.

As for me and my house - I'm never sick, and I think it has a lot to do with H2O, sleep, a fairly good diet and being active. Also, I think it has something to do with sleeping hot...at any rate, I'm rarely if ever sick...until last week. Somehow, I picked up a staph infection. I didn't even know what it was for a couple of days...then it invaded my person like a wildfire. Head, neck, ear, face, leg...I did the prescribed "MEC" gig, and they apparently put a band aid on a hemmorage.  By the time I got to my own doctor, she said, "Oh, my God...it could have killed you" and treated me with a super antibiotic which she said would probably rip me apart. Well, it didn't. I engineered a ways and means of taking the drug so that it didn't bother me.

The wound drained for seven days. I was unsightly and stayed home. Actually aside from the day I went to MEC, I felt fine during the ordeal. So this was my maiden voyage in illness. Yes, in 60 plus years, I've had a couple of colds and I had the flu once for four hours, and I've had a few bronchitis experiences when my son brought home an atypical virus...but generally, I feel good, and I want to keep it that way.

My compassion level has risen for those who fight the chronic attacks of sinusitis, allergies, IBS, arthritis, and other body disturbances and malfunctions. I can't fathom what it must be like to struggle with this daily. It was bad enough for ten days...

What I can't understand, however, is how someone can "live sick" and not do something proactively to change their situation for the sake of feeling good! People who could make their situation better by changing diet, losing a little weight, getting more exercise, drinking water instead of soda, and getting to bed on time. These are simple enough to do, and if the alternative is chronic illness...good grief.

I love being healthy...you might say I'm an advocate. Hope this speed bump doesn't indicate a future filled with obnoxious hurdles to be jumped every couple of months. That would truly be a nightmare. I like my freedom. I like being free of medications, free of body aches, pain, and that feeling that "I can't." Truly, I am very grateful for being free.

Now let's consider the kids...it's no different with children. Parents build children's bodies from the first moment of conception. What you give your child from conception to college is health through good habits and discipline. We've been talking about setting good examples at school, how that works, who should set examples, and how it's done. When parents offer great habits to their children, children benefit for the rest of their lives.

Here are the questions to ask about setting some basic health examples:

Is my child sleeping 10 hours at night?
What is my example for him or her? Am I up all night and then drag out of bed every morning?

Is my child drinking water during the day?
Am I drinking water in front of my child, or is my 1000 calorie latte or supersized soda providing my health example?

Is my child eating 1000 quality calories every day?
Am I weaseling out of my nutritional duty by stopping to pick up worthless calories for dinner too many times a week?

Is my child getting two hours of exercise every day?
Am I getting any exercise? What is my strength and vitality example for my child?

Is my child washing his hands EVERY time he comes indoors?
Am I?

It's a start.






No comments: