Monday, June 25, 2007

The Garden School Tattler




Mondays are wild in early childhood places. Children come to school with a variety of weekend activities and degrees of exhaustion. Parents seem to think that they get all their child's energy the weekend and teachers think that we get to spend most of that energy during the week, and often children are just plain loopy by Monday morning. Good day to stay at school.

Disciplines are at odds during the weekend too, and it shows on Monday morning. The "I don't have to," and "I can get away with..." and "Don't look at me because I want to do something I know I'm not supposed to" all fly like big flags on Monday morning.

Eating is down when kids are tired, and even the most kiddie friendly meal is often bypassed because it's not junk.

I asked one of the kids what her favorite at home meal was, and she told me chicken noodle soup. Please remember that most canned soup has not enough nutritional value to count as a food. If this is what is the whole of a child's dinner, it's really worth reconsidering.

Today, the older girls strung beads and made necklaces. They seemed to like the process, so I'll get more beads and we'll do it again. I bought those assorted glass beads because they are pretty and oddly shaped. If anyone has any old jewelry they'd like to donate, please pass it along!

Tomorrow and Wednesday we will be off to the pool.

No comments: