Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday's Plate


Here's an old family favorite that I haven't made for years. When we were out at the farm on Friday, Mr. Mayse gave me a cabbage, and I brought it home thinking I would make glumki, a Polish dish, out of it, and on Sunday I did.

The dish is stuffed cabbage leaves, and here is what you do:

You peal as many leaves off the cabbage as you want to make rolls. I made eight - two each per person per night. We will eat this two days running.

Set the cabbage leaves aside.

Make a cup of dry brown rice per instructions on the box.

Brown a pound of ground beef, ground lamb, ground pork or sausage, or a pound of bacon.

With the meat, also brown half an onion.

When the rice is done, mix rice, meat and onion and set aside.

In a small pot, make a nice tomato sauce with your regular spaghetti spices.

Divide the rice-meat mix into each cabbage leaf and close. You can use a toothpick or just turn the closure down so the weight of the roll keeps the roll closed.

Pour your sauce over the rolls and bake for about 35 minutes.

Serve with sour cream.

No comments: