Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Garden School Tattler


I was watching over the children as we practiced for our spring concert, and I realized just how different the children are. In the four years that a child can spend at the Garden School, he grows so much. The little tearful person, rolling around on the floor not really participating develops into the reliable actor or actress with the short study.

I asked Ty to take all Yuta's lines because Yuta has moved back to Japan, and for the most part he's got them. We had two little new girls yesterday -- really sweet. One little one was helping the ladies her age with one of the echoes. Her sister fell asleep on the floor.

In between, there are so many ages and stages.

Yesterday in class I said, "Finish up your math paper and I'll show you how to make a paper box." There was a lot of discussion about the paper box. Three children took me seriously and finished and we made cool paper boxes. Three children doddled over their work and lost out and were mad. Three children didn't know paper boxes were being made.

We worked very hard on identifying ones and tens in a two digit number, and the children did very well. Abby is still leading the class. She understands the concept. When the rest catch on, we will up the ante to 100s.

We are learning the one - ten words to add to our story making. If you write these out for the children, there are some helpers. I'll write about those later.

The book sale is awesome. Books for a student body of 1000 have arrived. Please come to look at the books and toys. This is a good time to shop for a year of gifts. Books make wonderful gifts for birthday parties and occasional gifts when someone has done a good job, and what better place to buy them?

Tomorrow we go to the children's philharmonic and then off to a picnic someplace - not sure where. It's supposed to be a beautiful day.

1 comment:

... said...

Greetings from Estonia!
I liked you blog! I used to work in the kindergarten three years after finishing Pedagogical Scool. Then I went to the other profession:medicina.
I was a doctor on the ambulance. Now I am retired.
God bless you!

Ingrid