Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Cookies


Some of the parents have asked us for the cookie recipe we use at school. It's an old one I got from one of my childhood mentors. Parkie was a Sioux from Minnesota and one of 12 children. She was a trench nurse during WWI and the mother of my oldest friend of 51 years. She was instrumental in letting me believe in myself.

The recipe is:

2 sticks cheap margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking SODA
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

Mix
Add 2.5 cups of flour

Bake at 350 degrees until they puff up and have turned brown on the bottom.

Remember, the more baking soda you put in cookies, the crispier they are. By adding .5 tsp of soda, you will make them cracker like.

If you want a cake like cookie, reduce the soda to 1/2 a teaspoon, and increase your flour by 1/2 - 1 cup.

Always bake cookies in the center of the oven and don't put two cookie sheets together. Cookies burn that way.

Cookies will continue to cook after they have been removed from the oven, so take them out before they really look done.

Don't be afraid to add stuff like coconut, nuts, peanuts, corn flakes, raisins, ground orange peel.

And don't think you have to use the whole batter at once. I keep at least a batter in my fridge at all times so when I know my grand kids are on their way, I can pop a sheet of cookies in the oven and have the house smell great and fresh cookies on a plate when they arrive.

No comments: