Thursday, May 07, 2009

Thursday's Child - teaching

Today is supposed to be an article about teaching, but I did that on Sunday, and on Sunday it's supposed to be a thing on food. So today, I'm posting a recipe for pancakes or waffles for 40, because someone asked...

Making waffles for 40 allows the cook a lot of room for additions. Here's how you start:

I use 5 cups of regular flour and 5 cups of whole wheat pastry flour. You can use all 10 cups whole wheat pastry flour and that is super, or all 10 cups white flour, but the waffles would have little if any food value.

There is about a cup of canola oil you add next.

I use about a 2 teaspoons salt and 10 teaspoons baking powder.

I put in 5-6 eggs, and mine are beautiful blue or brown. Color doesn't make a difference.

Now here is where you can add your extra stuff. The combinations are infinite. You can add oats,
cinnamon - I usually add about 2 tablespoons. You can add pumpkin pie spice, coconut, raisins, nuts, wheat germ, cranberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or what ever and then enough milk to make the consistency about the same as a light cake batter. It might take as much as 8 cups with heavier flour. I rarely ever measure anything because I do everything by how it looks.

I use 2% milk at school - about 5-6 cups, and soy milk at home because soy milk makes the waffles really air light.

You mix this up in a big bowl and then pour it in a pitcher. Your waffle iron should be red hot and have been sprayed with pan coat. Cook waffles until the light changes or until the steam stops - about 3-4 minutes.

Here's the recipe for a regular family of four:

2 cups flour
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups of milk

Here's a recipe for home made syrup:

1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Boil for three minutes.

To the syrup you can add jam or fresh fruit, maple flavoring, butter, raisins nuts, etc. Make it fun. My daughter in law once told me that waffles were junk food, but I can't for the life of me figure out how that could be ;-)))

No comments: