Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hamburger Buns...

I really hate buying hamburger buns. They are expensive and even the whole wheat ones are too "store bought" to really interest someone who has a broader bread sense. Store "boughts" have a lot of sugar and there is too much "food" when all is said and done. When you buy hamburger buns, you get eight, so what do you do with the other six? Normally, they sit in my fridge for weeks...and that's a bit frightening...

So I have traveled the Internet week after week to try to discover a really good hamburger bun recipe that would make only two buns at a time...do you know how impossible that is? I've made several recipes and have ended up with more food than I wanted while having so much left over, all of them were a complete disaster.

Then, one evening when I really wanted a nice sirloin burger with onions and mushrooms and green peppers, I sighed a heavy sigh about not having anything good to eat this delicious beast on, and the lightbulb went on in my head!

I quickly made a very small batch of pizza dough. (Warm the bowl, dissolve a 1/2 teaspoon of yeast into a 1/2 cup of warm water, add a pinch of sugar; let stand for five minutes; add a pinch of salt, a cup of flour and a little more until not sticky when you stir) And presto I had enough dough for exactly two hamburgers! I rolled out the dough, cut it with my hamburger press and baked four thin round crusts at 350 degrees for about six minutes and these little guys were just right and they were hot and ready by the time the hamburgers were cooked!

Then next time I made them, I used a big fist of Parmesan and some Chicago Steak seasoning right in the dough. I can imagine using any cheese, seasoning or ground veggie in the pizza dough to give you exactly the flavor you want - dill seasoning, perchance?

I'm thinking some bacon and cheddar and those canned friend onions would be exceptional!

Last night, I made the little pizza rounds and put some chili and cheese on the tops and baked them full, and served franks on them which was really fun and easy. It was a giant sandwich like creature...

Making pizza dough is a snap and takes no time at all. If you let your "sponge" develop in the warm water until it is truly a sponge...about five minutes...and you let your dough rest for another five minutes, you'll have a dough you can use for any number of things...calzones, inside out pizza, regular pizza, buns, tortilla like shells...the sky is the limit.




No comments: