Sunday, May 29, 2005

Parenthood At Its Best

Here’s parenthood at its best:

Eddie Arnold died this week at age 99. As some of you remember from the re-runs, he was Oliver on Green Acres. He was actually a fairly good actor in his time, and was nominated for two Academy Awards. Ordinarily, I would have heard, said a prayer for him and his family, and then proceeded to other things. I’m not a Hollywood person. I don’t follow stars because I’m not interested in gossip nor bizarre behavior. I never watched Green Acres because I don’t like TV.

But my husband, Terry, brought a very endearing story to my attention, and I can’t let it go without sharing.

Apparently, Eddie Albert had Alzheimer’s Disease, and his son Edward Albert Jr. gave up his career to spend his father’s last eight years caring for him. The story goes on to say that Eddie Albert spent one tenth of his life acting and the rest of it doing good works.
Once in a garden, the young Albert reports: "I said to him 'You're my hero.' I saw him struggling to put together the words, and he looked at me and said: 'You're your hero's hero.' I'll take that to my ... grave."
This is the kind of exchange all parents would like. You can find the whole story here

No comments: