Tuesday, May 24, 2005

What Do You Think?

Beginning the second week of June, I will be writing for WFIE’s webpage. It’s a column on children like the one I wrote for the paper. I love writing about children and issues about children and I can write on nearly any topic.

At the paper I was restricted to a very narrow field that excluded any discussion of poor childcare no matter how dangerous it was to children. I could not endorse even the best care, provider or product. As an example, I have a speech pathologist friend in New Jersey who just published an outstanding book on teaching children with speech problems how to overcome difficulties. I could not write a column on her book. Now I can. Do you want to hear about these things?

I am neither a gossiper nor am I interested in child abuse stories, but I am interested in the things that go on locally that horrify parents and everyone should be aware of. Poor childcare is a detriment to the community. Childcare outside the home is evolving and parents should be aware of what trends are in vogue and which ones work and why.

I am asking those of you who read this blog about what you think I should write about for the people of Evansville and beyond. The readership of the WFIE web page is about two million readers – that’s a lot bigger than the paper.

I want to present what you want to hear or do you just want to be surprised. Write me in the comments.

By the way, there are two more links listed. One has a lot of my work on it, and the other is Dorothy Daugherty's Book on Speech which I endorsed.



Thanks,

Judy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see that type of info on the WFIE website.
Also I really like the type of school that you run. I would like to see articles about other private schools in the tri-state. Once Faith has outgrown The Garden School, I am unsure of where she will go. Fortunately I have plenty of time to decide. But articles about other schools in the area and their cirriculums from an experienced educator would be very useful.

Anonymous said...

I would like to learn more about blended families from someone who has worked with children for many years. Websites and personal experience would be appreciated. In todays world, it is not abnormal for a child to have two homes with two of everything. Are there taboos or do's and don'ts that these families should be aware of?

Anonymous said...

Something else that might be entertaining and helpful would be comments and experiences from other parents. A bit of advice I could offer would be if you hear the toilet flushing multiple times, check it out very quickly.
When our son was a couple years old this happened. When I finally went to see what was going on, I discovered he had plugged the toilet with a whole roll of toilet paper and water was flowing over the sides of the bowl and leaking into the basement.