Friday, April 06, 2007

The Garden School Tattler


Every so often there is a wave of information about something that really upsets you. Yesterday it was about feeding the kids - I know - we're tired of feeding the kids - but here's what's bothering me, and you tell me if I'm the nut case - nuts are really good for you...

We all know that diet and health are related. No one can spend a lifetime eating only junk and not pay for it somehow. The question is, what's junk?

The presence of junk in my own diet began to interest me with a diabetes scare that was not diabetes but onset menopause. If I had not been prudent and interested, I would have allowed myself to be misdiagnosed, and I would have been in real health jeopardy because of a doctor's ignorance and inability to listen and judge one thing from another.

Just reading lightly about food was a real draw for me, because I understand how food can be a natural healer, make you feel better, and give you energy and stamina. Now, after a few years of interest, I'm on the Early Childhood Development Coalition subcommittee for Health and Nutrition and I give talks on nutrition when I can.

What am I hearing that's upsetting now that's triggering that same la la la la la?

"At La Petite Academy we are not allowed to serve anything fresh. It's a part of the rules."

"I'm sick and tired of what most day cares are feeding children."

"What's on the menu and what children are actually being served is questionable."

"Yesterday's lunch? A spoonful of kidney beans, a spoonful of green beans, an egg and a half slice of white bread."

"There is a significant number of children with clogged arteries at grammar school age."

"If we sit down once a week with our family to eat dinner, it's a lot."

"I don't have time to cook a real dinner and I wouldn't know how, anyway."

"I had pop tarts for dinner last night."

"His father spoils him with fast food."

"I don't cook."

These are some of the things I've heard over the last few months from parents, doctors and people in the food handling field. In the mean time, as time passes, and as children grow up, what's happening to their health? Health is not only a "now" thing, it's a "future" investment. Is nutrition just a topic that we don't recognize as important because it takes some work and some time? Is fast, convenient, processed food the best we can offer our children even when we know that food and health are related? Do we understand the difference between good and poor food?

Children have more and more allergies, ear infections, bronchitis, sore throats than ever before. Ever think it might be the food or lack of it? Children should grow about three inches a year. Are they? Should a four year old not be able to touch his toes because he's so inflexible from sitting down? Is the fact that only five schools in EVV passed a proficiency test this year attributable to poor nutrition and poor rest?

Childhood obesity is a problem today because of a lack of exercise and a full cabinet of junk. Neither do kids play outdoors - they don't know how anymore, but at the same time we don't turn off the TV. We need the background noise? Really? That's spooky.

Is it logical to think that when you "take" children outdoors to play and they really play, they will eat nearly anything and that's when trying new things at the dinner table works.

This week I have another nutrition meeting with the ECDC about poor nutrition in early childhood care centers. My theory is that children in childcare outside their homes should receive every bit of nutrition in childcare necessary to achieve maximum health. But where does one begin to help? I'm just not sure.

No comments: