Friday, August 17, 2007

The Garden School Tattler




Every morning when I get up I have great plans to put some articles on this site, publish a "What the kids are up to" note to parents and try to post some pictures. But every morning something takes me away from this at home. Lately we are painting. The room is thirty feet long and about eighteen wide, and it was wallpapered in awning stripe. And the walk in bird cage was speckled green. Can you imagine? Now it's called kumquat. You should see this 1830 house - it's one of those sights that causes heart palpations in the night, and it doesn't stop in the play room. It's invaded the kitchen, the dining room, the front room, and has taken over the library. And this I come home to and have to cook. Actually, I'm very grateful to my husband for his incredible work. It looks marvelous, and he's worked so hard to turn a nightmare into work of art. I can't wait for some semblance of order, however, and neither can he. Now it's a matter of changing the furniture, the floor, and cleaning, and then moving the art work back into the changed room. I'm thinking by the end of Sept? God help me.

Last night I got yet another note from a beloved graduated parent of a beloved child. That makes four. Four of our graduates are bored to death in public school. They are ready to learn, and what they are learning, they already learned two - three years ago. That, of course, is making me realize just how much our kids learn at the GS. Hadley was reading on a third grade level when she left. Right now they are looking at colors and numbers. That's what we do in preschool.

Teaching is a pleasure, and learning should follow suit. Kids really want to learn, and holding children back for some sport or some other reason is unfair to the inquiring mind of a child. If they want to know, show them.

I'm determined to believe that a child makes his or her decision about what they will do as adults as a child at this age. You can't show them too much. If they don't make that decision, then they will always have trouble.

This year, we're off to the races again - the intellectual races of the mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely child, isn't she? Three years at the GS definitely got rid of any separation anxiety. She couldn't wait to get Mom out of there.
And, yes, Faith is BORED. We are working to remedy that. She told me this morning in the car, "Mom, I just want to work on stuff like Ms Judy gave me, you know like ten plus one and that kind of stuff."
All of you did a WONDERFUL job with Faith's beginning education. So wonderful in fact that us parent's don't quit know what to think of the public education system just yet.
I will keep you posted.
We miss you all, Stacy & Faith.