Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fun Stuff




I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me and was always correct. It was fun for me, so I continued. At last she headed for the door, saying sagely, "Grandma, I think you should try to figure out some of these yourself!"

It sounds so true! This is the kinds of thing we hear all day. My favorite is "Your shoes are on the wrong feet."

"But Miss Judy, they are the only feet I have." And so the day goes!

It was a funny day. Mondays are horrible. Too much only child syndrome over the weekend. It takes nearly a whole day to re-community the children. By Tuesday, the play is better, the listening is better, and the results of work are better - even the eating is better.

I am enchanted with the learning of the letters in our preschool class. I teach letters by stories, and our stories are short. If your child says, "That's upstairs downstairs in my house," he means an H. It won't be long before he says "H," but before he says "H" he has to recognize it from all the other letters. So we offer the children short little stories to help. It makes the letters go so quickly.

A is Airplane
B is Butterfly
C is Mr. C Clam
D is Dg house
E is EEEEEEE
F is Fishing Pole
G is God's Head
H is Upstairs downstairs in my house
I is Ichabod who has one eye
J is Jungle Jumper
K is Mr. Kicker K
L is long lick lollipop
M is Mouse house
N is Not a mouse house
O is "Very Useful..."
P is Paint brush
Q is Queen's ring
R is Rabbit
S is Snake
T is Turtle table
U is Underwear
V is Victory
W is Waterworks basement for the mouse house
X marks the spot
Y are you doing that to my road
Z is for Zorro, Zap, Zap, Zap

We are making great strides. We have not done Y, Z, W Q or J. We've covered the rest, and 50 % of the kids know them.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Justin talking about "not mouse house" for the letter N. He's doing great in first grade. He loves school and looks forward to doing his homework. Kaito is in his class. Justin misses his teachers and friends at GS. We've visited a couple of times, but you were already gone for the day. Grace