Friday, January 25, 2008

Fun at My House



Just a personal story I thought was fun. Last Saturday, my daughter Anne was downtown Evansville working and she needed a cup of coffee, so she ran over to Subway, and there crouching in the street gutter was a tiny freezing starving kitten. She said the kitten looked at her in the five degree blowing weather as if to say, "I just don't know what to do, help me." She swooped it up and brought it to work, and called mother. We decided in less than 2.5 seconds that I would drive to Evansville and pick it up. It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. It was dirty, and it's hair stuck out all over it because there was not enough hydration or fat to let the hair lay flat. It sat on my shoulder during the drive home, happy - so happy - to be warm.

At home, I dropped it in front of Arthur's food dish. Arthur is the drop dead gorgeous blue point Siamese my husband gave me for Christmas who is now his cat. Arthur is a small cat at about 11 pounds. Much smaller than my old cat who in his dotage and stripped of most of his fat was still 16 pounds.

The kitten sang as it ate it was so hungry. As he thawed out, his eye began to run and he started hacking a terrible cough. Then he quit eating and I figured he'd last about two days. He slept and slept and but the cough did not go away, but he didn't die.

I took him to my fabulous vet yesterday, and luckily he has no diseases and he's going to make it. He weighs 1.9 pounds after he discovered Ensure makes a nice milkshake. He's going to be a tuxedo cat like Maestro. He's got a feisty personality and may be cute once we get the eye under control and the coat lays flat.

Kindness to a cat is none the less kindness in my book. We have to think broad strokes on that one. I'm glad Anne found Merlin in the street. Arthur is delighted to have a pal to play with, and one more cat in this big house hardly makes a difference. It's a happily ever ending story!

No comments: