Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Garden School Tattler

Good morning for the first time in nearly a week. Miss Judy is back and rested and ready for some play. It was a good trip - fast - but fun, and now that it's over, I think it was a good thing to do. I'm not one for much rest, and as I get older, I realize how important it is to get away and be refreshed for a while upon one's return.

Traveling can be exhausting - wrong bed, wrong food, wrong set of circumstances. I thought a lot about simplicity and routine while I was away and how simplicity is really "a good," as Anne would say. Terry and I are really simple travelers. Very few needs along the way. I once traveled a weekend with a credit card and a change of panties. Everyone else on the trip struggled with huge suitcases, hair appliances and what have you. I had a ziplock.

I did, however, want to pack all our food for the car trip, but my husband said he would rather have the experience of his once a year fast food. We stopped at McDonald's three times and really enjoyed the fat. I got the fruit thing they tout as being healthy - 25 grams of sugar and the walnuts were adulterated with sugar! And they didn't have tea - but that's OK, we enjoyed it anyway. We got to stop at a Chic filet for the first time ever.

After visiting with my grandchildren and watching several mothers interact with kids and Paddies birthday party, the thought came to me that I need to start writing a column on the American Family. It would be a fun exchange with the problems of today and the comments of a previous generation. Applying old ideas to new challenges might be helpful and might be insightful to young people. I know every generation thinks the previous generation "doesn't have a clue" but that's what the previous generation thinks about this new class of mommies, so it might be really funny.

Not real sure what's going on at school this week. Everyone was so nice to take my shifts these last few days, I can't say how much I appreciate it.

Judy

No comments: