Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday's Plate

So what's new on the GS table? Well they all love artichokes. Now I have to come up with something to dip the leaves in just for fun. I use mayo, but that's not a likely combo for the kids. I steam my artichokes and we share the leaves. The kids have really enjoyed this.

Another newby the kids are enjoying is our breakfast for lunch day on Wednesdays. I keep serving this because they eat it. I bake shredded hash browns, cubed hash browns or even French Fries until nicely cooked on a big stone pizza pan. I add bacon or sausage or this week, sandwich ham. On top of that I scramble fresh farm eggs and top the meat with lots of fluffy eggs. Then I add cheese to the top of the heap and when the cheese melts, it's ready to eat. I tried this on Mr. Terry at home, and he ate the whole thing.

The nutrition categories are: 3 proteins, and a starch. So we add 3 fresh fruits, and we have a meal. We can count the potatoes as a vegetable and add cinnamon bread. We can also bake the fruit into a critter.

Critter is the following: canned pineapple, peaches and cherries with a Dutch crumble top.

Another thing to use as a bread would be blueberry waffles.

Mr. Terry has been doing some of the grocery shopping at Aldi's. The food is much cheaper than most other stores, and it's very high quality. I can't get my specialty items there, however, like whole wheat pastry flour and different varieties of cookie chips.

The GS has gone over to burnless bakeware. I would never ever have tried this, but I am tired of digging pieces out of pans that refuse to cooperate. I bake 48 muffins every Monday, and I have to replace the typical muffin pan about every six months. I've ordered the new silicon bakeware from a company called Easybakeware.com. The items are free - I pay the postage. It's worth looking into. So far I have three bread pans, two bunt pans, and I've ordered four muffin pans.

No comments: