Saturday, June 06, 2009

Teaching Thursday



I love my children.

Mom,

I got up this morning at 5:30 (which I guess qualifies me as a full blown adult) and as I was cleaning the kitchen floor I had A&E's Biography on. Usually at this time in the morning the Biography episodes are on Dick Cheney or someone else that mainstream media doesn't want anyone to watch...but this morning it was Gene Simmons from the band Kiss.

Now normally, I'd dismiss someone like Gene Simmons because the man dresses up in dragon boots and demon face makeup, and plays in a hard rock band where he spits fake blood at the audience but I had no idea that Gene Simmons was such a normal and seemingly intelligent person.

He came over here from Israel at age 8 with his mother who survived a concentration camp during WWII, has been with the same woman since the early 80's, has never done any drugs, has two normal kids, didn't turn his back on Israel to be with the "in crowd" in Hollywood, is socially conservative, speaks 4 languages, publically stated that Islam was a "vile culture" and was a big supporter of the war in Iraq stating:

"I'm ashamed to be surrounded by people calling themselves liberal who are, in my opinion, spitting on the graves of brave American soldiers who gave their life to fight a war that wasn't theirs...in a country they've never been to... simply to liberate the people therein". In a follow-up, Simmons explained his position and wrote about his love and support for the United States: "I wasn't born here. But I have a love for this country and its people that knows no bounds. I will forever be grateful to America for going into World War II, when it had nothing to gain, in a country that was far away... and rescued my mother from the Nazi German Concentration Camps. She is alive and I am alive because of America. And, if you have a problem with America, you have a problem with me"

Who knew? The next time someone says something about what kind of person has tattoos or what kind of person does this or that...I'm going to tell them about Gene Simmons...who's real name is Chaim Witz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! I had no idea Simmons was from Israel. I certainly appreciate his point of view.Guess I need to join the 5 a.m. floor scrubbing, biography watching, adults!