Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sunday's Plate


While my delightful daughter, Annie, was home for the weekend from Chicago, we decided on the spur of the moment to make shish kabob. We purchased about $3.00 worth of beef end cuts, and $4.00 worth of boneless chicken breasts, onions, green pepper, and giant mushrooms. It was a simple shish, and we decided that it would be an easy dinner, so a lot of the things you "could" have put on the skewer, we left off for the sake of ease.

Anne picked up a bottle of Italian dressing already made. If it had been my choice, I would have used a homemade marinade. The Italian dressing played two parts: it gave the meat great flavor, and it also tenderized the meat.

With a sharp knife, I cut the meat into pieces about 1.5 inches thick. I sliced the green peppers into long wide pieces, and I cubed the onions. The mushrooms I left whole.

Onto the skewers in patterns, I placed all the meat and vegetables. We popped the filled skewers into a 9 x13 pan and poured the salad dressing over the top and baked them for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

We served this with plain brown rice and asparagus.

This is a wonderful bake, broil, barbecue kind of dinner. It's easy, and cheap to make. It would work with fish, ham, left overs, pork, bacon, and any kind of vegetable that doesn't break being put on the skewer. Don't forget the marinade.

A good marinade involves sweet, sour, salty and something to bind. I usually use a base of ketchup (about 3 tablespoons) soy sauce( 1/4 cup) pepper, olive oil (1/4 cup) , balsamic vinegar(1/4) cup , and garlic.

At school I use a lot of brown sugar and ketchup and fruit juice to marinade. I add oil, pepper and salt.

Have a great Mother's Day!

No comments: