Sunday, February 06, 2011

Sunday's Plate


This week at school, we will be studying some of the countries in Europe and decided to use lunch as a compliment to our studies by serving a slightly Italian, French, German and English lunch at school just for fun.

On Monday, we will have lasagna - everyone loves lasagna. It's an easy meal to make if and only if you use pre cooked noodles. I've struggled with boiling pasta for years, and finally went over to the precooked noodles just for the convenience, and presto bingo - I make a lot more lasagnas.

For children, I make it simply. I brown ground meat, drain, spice and add just enough tomato sauce to make the sauce thick, and then I set it aside.

I mix a gallon of cottage cheese and five eggs and a pint of Parmesan cheese together and set aside.

I line my pan with Pam and the instant noodles. I add the cottage mix, more noodles, the sauce, and then on the top I pile on the mozzarella cheese and bake for an hour or so. It's so easy.

On Tuesday, we will try to serve strawberry crepes. I haven't made crepes in years, but there is no time like the study of France to call to mind some of the French goodies on Valentine's week.

I will make a super thin pancake batter and cook the crepes until done then roll fresh strawberries and strawberry jam inside the crepes. Should be delicious. We will serve with hard cheese and fresh fruit.

On Wednesday, we will serve German food - not my favorite. We'll have baked sausage, potatoes, apples, carrots and biscuits.

On Thursday, we will have fish and chips, and on Friday, we will have American Pizza.

I thought to make one of my favorite dishes - coq au vin - for the kids, but I was afraid they would not like it. This is a must try at home, however. The recipe is easy:

Wash your chicken pieces. Fry a quarter pound of bacon and drain. In the tablespoon of grease still in the pan, slightly brown chicken, onions, carrots, and mushrooms. Add a cup of chicken broth or bouillon and a cup of red wine when veggies go limp, and simmer for about an hour. Thicken if you must, the sauce with a mix of cornstarch and water - about a tablespoon of each. Serve over brown rice. No bacon? Do it without. Use olive oil. No red wine? Use grape juice. Works.

Simple pleasures are the best pleasures.

No comments: