Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Garden School Tattler


It was a real balancing act today - sort of keeping one eye on the kids while we kept one eye on the weather and did a tap dance around keeping the whole group together doing projects close to the bathroom doors.

By noon, and with the cues from some of our parents, we decided to close school early. It was just too big a chance for too little profit. The new emergency cards are working out well. Thank you all for turning them in so promptly. I dreaded calling some of the parents because we realize how much of a strain it is to "just leave work" but as it turned out, I think we made the right call. When I heard that the Vanderburgh schools were keeping children at school and not releasing the buses because of the weather, I said Bingo.

Making decisions like that are tough. We have actually closed school mid day four times in ten years. Twice this year. When you think of all the things that could close a school, that's not a bad record: snow, ice, storm, power loss, illness, shortage of teachers, leaks and floods, fire, health hazard, it's not a bad record at all.

My husband commented this morning that we are getting a whole summer's weather in one week of November. I hope that's it.

The kids were actually quite well behaved today. We reviewed storm drills, we talked about taking direction if the wind blew too hard, we talked about where we go and what we do. This is ordinarily good practice for storms that just crop up - stuff we're not expecting. But this kind of storm, that we have lots of warning for means more than just some storm awareness.

We had sticky buns and apples for breakfast, and hot dogs with cheese, tater tots, salad, Kiwi, apples, pears, raisins, carrots and cauliflower and milk for lunch. No left overs again!

When I got home, I had a real nice call from Fred Kania from metroDaycare.com who asked if I would write their monthly feature article. I write for WFIE, and for Daycaremanager.com as well as Evansville Living. So look them up and tell me what you think.

Tomorrow, we hope will be a full and glorious day. Wear coats - it will be chilly.

No comments: