Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Garden School Tattler


It was calmer today, but we can tell there is a storm on the way. The weather map has a whopper over Missouri right now. Although the children's behavior has been really outstanding, we can tell they are antic, so we've been keeping them busy.

I've been studying the high fiber diet, and I am trying to make higher fiber foods for the children. A lot of what we serve is homemade. That means when I reach for the flour bin, I reach for both the white flour bin and the whole wheat flour bin. When I reach for the flour, I also reach for the oats and the wheat germ. Most of the children's food can be made, so why buy chemical foods?

Today we had tacos with beef, cheese and sour cream, brown beans, grapes, bananas and milk. The tortillas were corn. I could make these, but it would take most of the morning. Corn tortillas are acceptable. The brown beans were canned, and in the future, I will make these. Baking beans is not hard.

This morning we had homemade oat muffins with a glaze, bananas and milk.

When the health department came in, we were cited for crumbs on the floor. It didn't bother me - better crumbs on the floor than whole muffins in the trash can.

We will have very special special visitors next Friday. These women are the childcare development people from United Way. They have heard about us and want to see the place for themselves. Naturally, we are delighted to have them visit.

Today we had class time and then this afternoon we had fine arts and flute. The children seem to be enjoying the busyness of the afternoons.

The older girls asked this morning if we could bake Christmas cookies, and I told them next Wednesday on the Feast of St. Nickolas we would bake cookies as a school. It will be a very messy morning, but a fun one.

No comments: