Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Garden School Tattler


Just a note to say that I received a letter from the health department yesterday afternoon that said Maestro was a critical violation to our food establishment and would have to go. I had written David last week, and he kindly replied he had no alternative, after seven years, but to enforce the law.

I took Maestro home last night. It was quite a battle to get him out of the building. Needless to say, he likes the house. It's quiet and he can roam around the rooms and has a nice neighborhood to defend and explore. His main obstacle will be my 20+ year old cat, Clonmacnoise. They have been rudely introduced, and have held name calling contests and posing contests, but neither has taken the first bite. Maestro seems frightened, if you can believe it. He spent the night in my bird cage curled up among the plants on a pillow. He had his cat box and water, but he wasn't coming out.

Maestro was very tame last night and didn't bite or scratch or growl at me. He was a perfect gentlemen. I'm thinking maybe I should apply this kind of thing to some of the kids!

Tomorrow is play. In practice, it is absolutely darling. The costumes, thanks to Edith, are magnificent. The extras this year were well worth doing. I'm so proud of the children, it brings tears to my eyes.

We have suspended classroom activities for the play and will return to paper and pencil next week. We feel that plays and productions teach children a lot, and the doing of them creates a real social platform. Just getting on stage, when one has been created for them, is a big deal and a first deal.

Thanks to Amy Russell for all her help. She has been an outstanding asset to the school.

No comments: