Monday, May 07, 2007

The Garden School Tattler



I visited my mother at the senior residence on Sunday. The care providers were very nice. It was odd to see someone there who has been as independent as my mother. She's ninety now. My preference would have been to leave her in her own home, but I didn't have that choice, and she can't manage alone.

As I was musing about these things, I compared the care giving jobs we do at the Garden School and the jobs the care providers do at the home and I wondered if the short span of time most of these residents will spend there is comparable to the short span of time our kids spend at the Garden School.

Our main project is to discover the child and make his life safe and comfortable so that he can learn. Then we teach him, and then he goes on to other leagues.

The senior residence job is also to make the elderly feel safe and comfortable ... what then? Mother mentioned that she was going to go "finish" college. I thought it was wonderful. I wondered which side of the desk she'd prefer.

Graduation is in a few weeks. It's a fun day with a picnic. More details later.

For those who wrote in, thanks for the comments. Your children are the highlight of a life well worth spending on children.

I always say, when I'm their age, I'll be over at the home - or worse. Maybe I'll be thinking and praying for them as they work out their lives. It's a thought.

No comments: