Sunday, November 06, 2011

Sunday's Plate - Baked Beans to Die For!

Here's a great new recipe for baked beans. I'm not a bean lover, but Mr. T loves baked beans, so I tried these and they were so good, I would have had them for dessert too!

Soak small white beans over night.

Boil beans until cooked - about an hour.

Reserve 3 cups of bean water. (I forgot to do this the second time I made them. Will let you know how they turned out without this.)

In a crock with a lid that is ovenproof, place beans
7 slices of uncooked bacon cut up into pieces ( use a scissors)
1 very large raw chopped onion
1 cup maple syrup - can be made by boiling 1/3 cup water and 2/3 cup sugar + maple flavoring
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Mix in the crock, cover and cook two hours at 350.

These are truly yum.

No comments: