Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Garden School Tattler


We had such a nice day on Friday. It was effort-full and effort-less all at the same time. It was fine arts day, so we used the day for teachers with special interests to teach skills pertaining to holiday crafts and activities. Of course it was raining all day - a treat I could enjoy every day. I love rain, and find it delightful.

Mrs. St. Louis made actual hand and feet pumpkins, tracing hands and feet for the art work.

Miss Judy pulled out the sweet dough, and the kids made cranberry fritters for their snack. Tastes like donuts.

Miss Kelly sang with the kids and taught them some darling songs - better than I could do - and then sat down with some gumball wreaths she had painstakingly hot glued together to make candy corn decorations with the kids.

Miss Jana's pumpkins were a huge success on Thursday. Each child has planted a pumpkin seed to watch sprout. And Miss Jana carved a GS in one of them.

Today we all got together and took a CPR class. Ryan at Knight Township did the training. He's a really really nice guy.

Because of the new 1-5 star rating designated to early childhood places, I'm working to make our place a 4 star place. I am not interested in an accreditation from the National Association for the Education of Young Children, which would make it a five star place. I have read enough of their stuff and find it too young for what we do. So we are going for a four star.

We have an OUTSTANDING staff, one I could not be prouder of. Never have we had a more loving group of teachers.

As part of my work - food - I am determined to create more kiddie foods that the children just love. I want them to say "Oh yeah!" when I tell them what we are having for any meal. I have found three new meals for this week: Applesauce cookies for snack, a fall snausage and potato thing for lunch and something called muffin meat again for lunch. I'll keep you all posted on the new likes and dislikes.

The picture is of the cranberry bogs.

No comments: