Sunday, October 22, 2006

Twins!

BabyFit Success Story - USMC_Mommy

This Marine Delivered Twins While Stationed in Japan
-- By Kathleen, BabyFit member stationed in Okinawa, Japan

With my twin girls (now three months old!) sleeping peacefully in their cribs, I prepared the bottles for daycare, and let my mind wander...

I thought back to when I first joined BabyFit, concened about staying fit and healthy during my first (and totally unplanned) pregnancy. As a 23-year-old single Marine stationed in Japan, I knew I would have to be strong, both physically and mentally. I didn’t know what the father would do, I didn’t know what to expect with twins, and I didn’t have support from my family. I was totally alone and confused.

Then I got involved with BabyFit's "March Moms" as actively as I could. I got to know some of the women who were involved in similar situations. It was really helpful to know that I wasn’t the only one, and that I wasn’t alone.

I loved carrying twins, but the process of giving birth terrified me! At 7 months (being very, very pregnant), I finally moved out of the barracks and into a small apartment in town. It is very nice and cozy. By this time, my relationship with Olly, the father, had blossomed into a very loving and close friendship, and in November he asked me to marry him (I said yes of course)! When my mother came to stay, now warmed up to the idea of having grandchildren, the three of us waited for the girls to arrive.

After a few bouts of false labor and dilation of less than a centimeter, I was scheduled for a c-section at 38 weeks. I was frantic! I stayed awake crying for a couple of nights. I was afraid of the surgery, recovery, and of losing closeness with Olly. I experienced horrible dreams of things going wrong, children dying, ME dying! At the last minute the surgery was pushed back and I had to wait for 2 more agonizing days!

Wait I did, and on the morning of the 9th, 1020 they called me and said to come in and have my babies. It is the oddest feeling to be called in to have your babies, after preparing for a breaking water and labor pains. The shots for my spinal block were terribly painful. I cried—I didn’t want the babies to come out. Why did it have to hurt…?

The medication kicked in and it felt like sinking into a warm bath. They let Olly in and I felt better. I heard " I’ve got feet!" After a few tugs, Tianna arrived, screaming and kicking. McKenzie followed shortly, just as noisily. Olly took tons of pictures and it was so wonderful.

Now that it is over, I am so in love my daughters. It will be some time before I have the courage to do it again, but I will someday. Olly wants a son—but just one.

No comments: