Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Garden School Tattler


Thanks to parents who have given us so much support lately. I wonder why there is anger when something works as well as our little school. When Edith and I built this school, we decided to do some different things than we saw other places we've taught. We decided to build trust and mutual respect between staff and parents. I think it has worked.

We run into a lot of parents whose children have come to the Garden School over the years, and I am always delighted when they remember us so fondly.

Yesterday: Picture this: Molly is standing between the Kindergarten blue door and Mrs. St. Louis's Nursery niche, her classette, and Molly's head is going back and forth as if she is playing tennis, and she suddenly blurts out, "Why is everything you do, Mom, big, and everything Edith does small?" She was referring to the children's art projects. My kid's reindeer are large and funny, and Edith's are small and darling.

"Style," I tell her. Edith has style, and I come in a poor second.

Edith told me yesterday she wanted to laugh all morning. Brian, quiet, ethereal little Brian took David in hand and traced his hands for the reindeer antlers. "I'll do that for you," says the quiet Brian.

I am overwhelmed by the singing. Yesterday afternoon the children all started to sing, "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus." This group sings. There must have been fifteen children doing one picture after another gathered together at the art table - every child enjoying the next child's company, and they started singing. They sang a few verses of Jingle Bells, and Il E Ne Le Divine Enfant." I was so proud.

Today we are having a big ham dinner. If you're in the neighborhood...

No comments: