Sunday, December 04, 2005

Good Bye is Hard


Silence is sometimes the best policy when there’s flux or chaos or a problem, but parents are curious about the inner workings of school, and they have a right to know about the coming and going of their children’s teachers and curriculum.

Last week on Monday Miss Rachel resigned her post. It was a heartbreaking uncomfortable time for everyone. It was long in coming, and I wish the job would have gone to Christmas, and I blame myself that it didn’t.

I love Rachel like one of my own kids, and I’ve offered her a place in my heart forever and a place under my roof many times. She returned the affection. Miss Rachel is wont to make changes, and sometimes those changes need to be made for her. When she came to the Garden School, the idea was that she would stay a few months. She stayed four years.

The Garden School can’t pay scale. We do offer some benefits like medical and retirement and carte blanche in the classroom, and 25 days paid vacation, but that low paycheck is hard to live with after a while. We wish we could pay more, but none of us take more than a pittance home. Our salaries are all just about the same.

Rachel is not a greedy or needy person. She’s a beautiful young woman with an excellent teaching approach. I hope she understands that she has something very fine and very exceptional to offer the world of children. She’s a wonderful artist, an unusually happy, healthy, interested person.

When someone like Rachel seems shadowy and unhappy, something is wrong. When wrong lingers too long, changes need to be made.

We will miss Rachel so very much. Our hearts go with her wherever she goes. Be it known that we will do anything we can to help her make this transition. Perhaps she may come and work for us in the summer. She is always welcome.

Personally, I can say I have grown knowing Rachel. I have learned a lot from her. When someone or something is a big part of my life, I usually write about it. My next novel is called, Romancing Rachel. I hope she is a continuing part of my life.

Miss Stacey is leaving as well. It was not a good match. Although she gave it her best shot, Miss Stacey felt that her ability to teach preschool was very limited, and so she is opting out.

Mrs. St. Louis has decided that she would like to teach preschool. She has wanted to do this for a very long time. Edith has been teaching since 1963, and she would like to relax and play with the very youngest children teaching them to listen, to count, to play with letters and numbers and do the inscrutable puzzle.

Miss Judy is delighted with Mrs. St. Louis’s pre-K K class. Although I am not a licensed teacher, I have taught preschool since 1983. I have baccalaureate degree from the University of Evansville, and some masters work in Education. I have a national reputation regarding the teaching of young children, and I am delighted to work with this very special class.

Miss Molly will continue as the Archangel in charge.

We are currently looking for a licensed first grade teacher. We are hoping to find either a man or a woman who is interested in what we do. Tomorrow is our first interview. We are looking forward to meeting her.

In the interim, we have a very busy, very full Christmas schedule. This week it’s the Feast of St. Nick, and the cookie stuff will be delivered on Friday. On Tuesday, we will have our art show, and Beve Pietrowski will leave picture orders for December 12.

We are still looking for options for a field trip. Everyone seems concerned that the new Narnia movie will be too scary, and with the weather and the fact we have a new artificial tree, I’m afraid of going to cut a tree like we’ve always done. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to see that Rachel is leaving and wish her the best of luck. Everyone at the Garden School has made such a difference in my son's life and I loved that Ms. Rachel challenged him and pushed him like no other. She is such an intelligent and beautiful young woman and will truly be missed.

Anonymous said...

How about ice skating at Swonder Ice arena?

Anonymous said...

I hate to see Stacy leave Garden School. I always felt my son was thriving emotionally and academically when he saw her. We'll miss you!!!!