Sunday, September 10, 2006

Grandparent's Day


It's Grandparent's Day today - I hope everyone who's a grandparent enjoyed it today. I got to supply the mattress body for Mr. Big today. He loves to crash on grandma and grandma is smitten with his crashes. So he napped while William wrecked the house. Jackie was playing ball. William is a spectacular child. Today he found cordial glasses and drank a toast of orange juice with Jack. He carefully held the stems and crept into the playroom about 10 times.


This has been a crazy weekend. I got an email from my high school graduating class reunion sponsor. There has never been one before because the high school failed about 25 years ago. But some of the students are getting one together anyway. The email read, "Hope this finds you well and enjoying life. Did you marry our history teacher? If so, would love to see both of you at the reunion in October." My response was, "Well yes I am, yes I do, and yes I did." Not that I'm an advocate of student teacher dating, but I was older than most of the other girls, traveled and experienced, and it was very romantic and very exciting and the marriage has lasted 36 years - so maybe it was meant to be. At any rate, it's a remarkable collection of memories, and fun as I search the yearbook trying to remember old names and faces and read all the inscriptions.

And that brings to mind memories of other kinds. In all the years we've been in business, Mrs. St. Louis has sent a birthday card every year to every child who has ever come to the GS who we don't lose track of. I've met some of the now college students who look forward to their cards from us each year. This is how we stay in touch, keep contacts and make community.

Perhaps we should have a reunion one day soon at the GS. It would be fun to see all the kids again. Sometimes they stop by, but mostly, it's by chance.

***

Tomorrow is the fifth anniversary of 9-11. We will talk about it tomorrow, and we will draw pictures of the Pentagon and the twin towers and send our work to the Knight Township Fire Station.

***

This is Community Week at school. Parents are welcome to talk about their work at school to the class. Please see Miss Judy about that.

Happy Grandparent's Day!

No comments: