Monday, February 12, 2007

More on Food


Judy,

David never even ate until he came to the Garden School. I think your approach has worked wonders on his appetite. He may not always love what I serve at home, but he understands that we don't waste food, and you have to at least try something new. Ironically, things he hates are the worst things for him. Case in point, I had some left over cool-whip from some dish I made over the weekend. When I was at the grocery yesterday I bought some beautiful strawberries, and I thought they would be fun to have with the cool-whip. He didn't want any part of it at all. He insisted that he eat the fresh strawberries without anything else, sugar...etc. If that isn't proof that your style works I don't know what is. Thank you again for taking such wonderful care of the kids each and every day.

Mary Beth

Thank you Mary Beth for all your help and encouragement. David is an excellent example of a picky eater who does fine. David chooses what he will eat and he eats it. There is never any problem with him. He eats some things and not others, and sometimes we have a "clean plate" which at the GS means a child tried something new and enjoyed his lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is fantastic that David has grown in to an eater. David is so precious and reminds me of a little girl that was so shy when she started at GS and has blossomed into a beautiful little girl. I think by the time David is six he will be just as outspoken as the little girl is now. I do have to admit that I can certainly understand the blog comment about the clean plate club. If in fact it is being used to get the children to try things that is one thing. If it is to teach the children to clean the plate that is another. I will be the first to admit that I think you do a wonderful job at feeding the children and teaching them to branch out. I know that a lot of times the last thing some of the children have to eat that day will be what you feed them so kudos to you. If you have never had an overeating disorder you can't really relate. The last thing a child should be taught is to clean a plate...and rewarding them with candy is insanity!! I know the reward has to be enticing but maybe it just isn't a good idea! The parfaits were a great idea last week. Maybe that could be the reward. It is just a suggestion. You have a fantastic program and I wish I were little again so I could go there each day. I believe the initial comment about the clean plate club was just a genuine concern.