Monday, September 06, 2010

Sunday's Plate


One of the things I've been working on at home is a way to guiltlessly eat steak. Steak is one of those things we have been told not to eat for our health and safety, but it's one of those things I could eat every day. Like many things, it's one of those compromises we make and try to glissade over my purchase with the reasoning that it was cheap...better for the budget...that one meat was as healthy as another, etc. So for years I bought cheap steaks - I even tried to marinate the heck out of chuck and hope that it resembled steak.

As I got older, I realized that this was probably not a cholesterol healthy move, so I bought it less and less, but the eating of steak never left my desire. Of course desire is a far cry from need.

Lately, about twice a month, I've been buying sirloin steaks at Schnuck's in the butchery. I know that a little beef is a good brain food. Problem has always been quantity. I mean when you are eating a beautiful steak, and you must end at four crummy ounces...wow!

So when steak is on sale, I buy a small sirloin - about a pound - and bring it home and cut it in cubes - cubes about 1.5 inches in all directions. Then I put the cubes in a marinade - olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ketchup and pepper. Before the meal, I skewer eight cubes along with a little chicken or shrimp and lay the skewers on a bed of brown rice and vegetables like onions, peppers and mushrooms, and I bake it at 350 degrees for exactly 30 minutes.

It's perfectly done, no extra fat, no charcoal, and it's four ounces exactly. I'm really pleased with this method of steak. It compromises the desire, taste, and health with the fact of being abut $3.50 per meal for meat.

1 comment:

childcare said...

I like the picture of the elephants. What does it have to do with steak?