Thursday, March 09, 2006

Strange Things


Every once in a while I look me up on the Internet to see who's doing what with the stuff I've written. I find it all very flattering, and recently I've found it a bit daunting. I found my name listed in my father's obituary which I never saw - long story - not fun. I found my letters to a Catholic forum posted - ouch.

Tonight - menopause - long story- not fun- I'm seeing new stuff I've never seen. I'm always so excited to see that someone likes what I do - especially people in different places and far away places. I found this site, and was thrilled to see this column I wrote on Knighthood printed so far away.

The joy of the internet is the exchange of information. Edith and I remember the library as the one on a book type of information getting. Getting use to the Internet took some doing.

We teach history and geography as a big deal at school. In the age of Internet, the very idea that nations and countries are separated by culture and convention is almost laughable when you realize the Internet.

Teaching reading and writing to very young children has become a challenge today in the face of TV, but if a child does not learn to read and to write today, he will be denied access to the world as presented on the computer. He will be limited.

It's a new world. It's a quiet world. It's a world of fast information and quick responses. I return in my mind to the quiet cabin in the woods and wonder if our children would be able to handle it. Think sometimes what it would be like to bring Johnny Appleseed into the twenty-first century and ask if he would be able to handle it. As we grow and progress, have we changed? It's an interesting question.

No comments: