Friday, September 16, 2005

Cayman


I thought this letter was a real taste of human concern. So often we hear haughtiness and one upsmanship in letters to the editor. I thought this was well balanced and caring. You can almost hear the patios in the writing.




Cayman Net News
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Cayman Brac Day Care a fire hazard
Friday, September 9, 2005

Dear Sir,
The Cayman Brac Day Care Centre is a wooden, 70-year-old building and a fire hazard. It should never have been opened as a children’s day care centre.

There are 20 kids at this centre, from six-weeks to four years old and a staff of seven.

Now if, and if I say if (God’s willing never), a fire should start in this wooden building, how would a staff of seven get these kids out? There are only two exit doors and all windows are closed because of the a/c. I would never want to hear this place is on fire.

I have talked to many parents and they say their hearts are in their mouths all day long for this big reason.

They are all working parents and have no other choice. By the way, they have an after school at the centre (4 to 7 years).

My great grand kid goes to the centre. I have also been taking my step grandson there for six months, and every time I drop him off, I say a big prayer for those kids.

I know that place. I built the last bit on about 10 years ago, and it’s all wood. I also know that the wiring is not up to standard. I know I’ll get some feedback about this letter and that’s fine with me.

I think that place should be closed and demolished. I don’t want to hear that it’s in the budget. Which Budget? 2008?

A new cement building should be built now. I also think this has been overlooked by our authorities, and some just don’t care.

The money that was wasted on the Bluff for a sports complex that is now grown up with bush! The millions of dollars down the drain! This could have built two centres.

I understand from some parents that management is not up to standard and they would like some changes. Others say everything is fine. You all be the judge.

Talbert Tatum

No comments: