Saturday, August 13, 2005

Madagasgar

Movie Review:

Madagascar

My daughter Katy is a big fan of children’s movies and taking Jackie Snyder along. A few weeks ago, Edith and I went along to see Madagascar. I was not as fond of Madagascar as I hoped I would be. I remember thinking how much fun it would be, and I was disappointed - mostly because of the dialogue. Click here for synopsis.

I think the art work was splendid and the animals were lovable and funny, but the character traits went a little over the kid’s heads. We had our hypochondriac giraffe, our ego centrist hippo, our nihilist lion, and of course the positive postitive – the good guy – the zebra. We even had the Gestapo-like Right Wing penguins. These are funny to a point, but at the same time what is trying to be a hero is tragically flawed. Am I being too hard on Hollywood? Mmmm. I hope so.

Most of the dialogue was adult and had too many sexual innuendoes. It’s not even a lesson in cultural literacy because there are things only people my age are going to know, and I’m old. So making connections between the delivered line and the laugh is either faked or lost.

The dialogue went flat about 60 % into the movie, and Jackie wanted to use the toilet, which in child said, “Get me out of here.”

I was not sorry the movie was over; I was glad. To bad; the idea is good and the characters have promise, but the depth of the story didn’t teach anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Celestes Wells daughter,Caroline Wells,is the biggest fan of Madagasgar,I mean she has seen it 4 times alrady.Caroline thinks that Alex is a natural born New-yorker,Marty thinks that theres more to life than just New York,Gloria is like leader of the group and nothing is gonna stand in her way,Melman is just sometimes wrong,And the peinguns,Private,Skipper,Rico,and Kowowski are Psycodic. Oh,and her most favorite characters are King Julien,Maurice,and Mort.They are the best to Caroline espeisially King Julien.The three are so funny to her.So Madagasgar is the greatest movie ever!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MADAGASGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MADAGASGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!