Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Garden School Tattler



We had a busy day today!!! The weather changed and so did the children’s behavior. Most of the kids were really good. We talked about love today, and how our behavior towards one another demonstrates our deepest love and affection. Some of the kids caught on right away and some didn’t.

I was the recipient of many hugs today, so I guess they listened. Alexa said in a very loud voice, “You are very very loved, Miss Judy,” and I nearly cried. Had to choke back the tears. I was just beaming. I call Alexa, China. She is so like a beautiful china doll.

I call Hadley “Tink.” She reminds me of Tinkerbell.

I call Aidan, “Hook.” He thinks it’s a very brave name from Peter Pan.

I call Peyton “Bamboozle.” She’s not fond of the name, but it suits her. We had a rabbit named Bamboozle, but it died.

Abby is “Thumper.”

Speaking of the rabbit dying, we had a little sex education on the playground on Wednesday.

Every spring and fall, there are a few children who get a little romantic. Sometimes they say the cutest and most shocking things. Sometimes they do some shockers too. We had three boys potty against the fence about two weeks ago which is the first sign that romance is on the way. I have a funny story:

When I taught at St. Ben’s I was horrified that one of the boys pottied on a tree during recess. I took him directly to the priest and the priest broke into a peal of laughter. “He’s a boy,” said Fr. Gregory. “Boys pee on trees.”

“In front of 14 girls?” I demanded.

“So he’s a daring boy.”

As my eyes narrowed, Father glanced up at the ceiling and promised to do something. I could tell his heart wasn’t in it. I stomped off. “Women,” I could hear as I tromped down the hall. I wonder if he heard what I said?

Promises promises. At the Garden School, Miss Molly took charge and talked to the offenders. Problem is they don’t know what they did. They nearly always get it wrong, and it nearly always makes you laugh. So if your child says something that causes you to nearly steer off the road, take a deep breath and ask them what they mean. It will probably put a smile on your face. Children are so innocent.

We ate pop tarts on the patio and we invented a new game: bus. The children took all the child sized chairs on the playground and built a bus. All the kids seemed to be the driver, which is always a good way to solve the “me first” dilemma.

We put some of Miss Rachel’s science art up on the front desk, and sent home Mrs. St. Louis’s finger paintings and Miss Stacey’s leaf art. Tomorrow is fine arts and we will try mosaics again.

I was busy in the kitchen today. I made chicken pot pie from scratch. I always make it with a cheese sauce. The kids seemed to enjoy it. I also made home made caramel. It’s a simple recipe, and the kids like it. I put giant marshmallows in at the last minute, and the kids who kept their medals and demonstrated their love for us each got a giant piece with a marshmallow. It was a neat reward.

We’re studying clothing and weather in French. We are working on a few new songs in music including “We are Siamese.”

I taught geography today. I want the children to understand what a map is, and what it means to have a united group of states. We talked about the northeastern states and their names.

The day finished with the caramel, and a nice play in a cool playground.

No comments: