Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Garden School Tattler


The day got off with a bang - literally. Miss Molly was in a terrible car accident, but she and the baby are fine, and so is Jack. Thank God for His blessings, and thank God for the police force and the fire department for INSISTING that children are buckled in properly.

The light was out, and Miss Molly's car was struck in a busy intersection by a tremendous impact that sent the car spinning through a double circle, broke her axle, bent a wheel horizontally, and pushed her car two lanes over and nearly toppled it over. After the shake up, Jack was able to come to school and not miss the field trip, and Miss Molly went to see her doctor who said she'd be sore, but she'd be OK.

When we see children roaming around in cars, we cringe. I always think of a little girl I went to school with who was brain damaged on her way home from the hospital as a new born. There was an accident and she hit the dashboard. When I think of what her life was like because she had not been in a car seat some sixty years ago, I still cringe.

Children are so precious, so dear, and we are their safety zones.

It was a cool but lovely day, and we were out in most of it. We went to the pumpkin patch and each of the children got a pumpkin. They ran around looking at the pumpkins and had a tough decision as to which one was the most perfect.

Then it was off to Wesselman Woods to play and eat pizza Mrs. St. Louis ordered. The kids ate five boxes of pizza and five orders of bread sticks.

We played at the park and a class from Newburgh School came to play as well. I met some of my children's teachers from back in the 1970's who are still teaching. It's always nice to know that people are still doing a great job.

Back at the school we had an easy afternoon, and ate apples and carrots and dip on the patio. I gave out Fall suns and stars to kids with medals. I have a big box of "hangables" for kids who do a nice job. If I pull out the box, the kids can pretty much have what they want. I fixed some of the crinoids with new gold wires, and Peyton just had to have bell. She also found a ballet slipper set, and Alexa wanted one too, so I gave her a sun instead because I only had one ballet slipper set. I invited the kids to bring little trinkets to hang on their medals, and I promised I'd but a jumper on for durability. Every so often I pass out things, and those wearing medals can get something new. David got a whole new medal, and so did Mayli.

Tomorrow is fine arts day. We will be listening to Handel and making witches.

No comments: